A freaky kind of place
This church, situated a little north of Ca'Granda, is mainly known for its bizarre ossuary, the chapel that is decorated with the skulls and bones of the former cemetery. Not for the faint-hearted!
In 1210 the adjacent cemetery ran out of space and the ossuary was built to hold bones. The church was attached later, the current one originates from the 18th century.
The small, decorative altar in the chapel is surrounded by votive offerings and relics
The vault painting in the ossuary is by Ricci depicting the "Triumph of the Soul Among the Angels".
The 16th century paintings inside include images of Saint Lucio, patron saint of cheese makers, whose confraternity is located in this church.
Inside the church, don’t miss the altar dedicated to Maria Magdalene, with a painting by Ferrario and the altar dedicated to Saint Rosalia.
According to a legend, on 2 November, All Souls, the bones of a little girl on the left of the altar return to life, leading all the other skeletons in a sort of dance macabre.
See the 360Cities website for a panoramic view of the skulls & bones.
Partially accessible to the disabled (several steps to overcome).
A bite of Italian:
ossa is the plural of osso, bone (ossobuco= bone with a hole in it) and one of those few words that change gender when set in plural